Terry Earp

Terry Earp

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Vision Quest

Vision Quest

Have you ever had a dream or vision that kept coming back to you? What do you usually do with it? Do you entertain the thought of this vision for a little while and then just put it aside for another day? What is it that may be holding you back from pursuing your dreams? Is it lack of confidence or money or is it something else? What ever the reason a vision just remains a vision until we act on it. Some refer to this as a calling. Do you feel you have a calling on your life that sometimes consumes your thoughts? You see I believe that we are all given visions or a purpose which are fueled by dreams in order to fulfill a void or a need of some kind in the world. Where would we be if it were not for dreams and visions? The world would be a pretty boring place don’t you think? Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. once said, “Many people die with their music still in them”. When I first heard this something stirred within me. I began to ask myself, what if I pass from this life without realizing my dream, without even trying to make my vision a reality? I soon recognized that my biggest obstacle to living my dream was me. Down deep inside I believe I have always known this but was unwilling to admit it to myself. I began to realize that fearing failure was a very poor excuse for not reaching for my dreams. Failure is not an event but merely an opinion. We do not fail until we stop trying and not trying at best is settling for a life of mediocrity. Look at history. Some of the greatest pacesetters of our time failed more than they succeeded. When Thomas Edison was asked about his past failures he replied, "I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb." It is said that Henry Ford went broke five times before he finally succeeded. Louis Pasteur was only a mediocre pupil in undergraduate studies and ranked 15th out of 22 students in chemistry. Oprah Winfrey early in her career was fired from her job because she was told she was unfit for TV. We do not remember these great trendsetters for their failures but for their success. Can you imagine what would have happened if they just decided to give up after a few tries? If any of them would have given up pursuing their vision I believe that someone else would have stepped up to fill that void. I am of the belief that a vision waits for no one. As long as there is a need in this world someone will rise up to meet that need. Could it be you? Do you have that fire within to pursue your passion in fulfilling your dreams? Action is the catalyst for success. Life is too short to just lie around dreaming it away. What choice will you make?

Vision

Visions are fueled by dreams
Of the way that things could be.
And dreams give birth to change
Which help fulfill a void or need.

Innovations create the change
Which are then laid upon the heart
Which then sustains and propels the dream
But this is just the start.

Sacrifice is to deny oneself
For the greater good of all,
To face persecution and rejection
In pursuit of a higher call

Integrity is having the courage
To do what you know is right.
It may not be the most popular thing,
But it is always worth the fight.

Optimism spawns a passion
Toward a noble deed.
It inspires those around us
To be all that they can be.

Need is always key
To those that live without.
And one that will stand within the gap
Is what love is all about.

Terry Earp
November 3, 2005












No comments: