Terry Earp

Terry Earp

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Choices

Choices is my journey of self-examination and a search for truth.  It is a series of heartfelt and heart changing journeys through time that has changed my life forever.  Each entry is the result of an event that has touched my life in a very special and personal way.  I am of the belief that if we fail to learn from these life lessons then our journey here is but in vain.  I do not claim to have all the answers.  I have learned from others along the way much wiser than I and hope to continue to do so.  When we think that we know it all and have all of the answers then the learning process stops.  I will always consider myself a student in this massive and always changing world where choices must be made daily.  I hope you will come and travel with me on a journey filled with its many peaks and valleys.  My wish is that these true and personal stories bless you as they have richly blessed me.  I look forward to hearing from you.  How do you feel about this subject?  What is your story? 

I am so very excited to be starting off with my very first blog.  I feel like I am at the threshold of meeting my extended family for the first time and very much look forward to this.  I would like to start off sharing a poem that I had penned when I was in my twenties.  Its original title was Blind Destiny.  I was walking across my university campus in the evening just after leaving the Shakespearean play Hamlet.  I was feeling great and very philosophical that night.  I felt as though I had the whole world at my feet and I was ready to go out and conquer it.  I was excited about my future and ready to explore my new world.  I did not know what my future held but felt confident that I was ready to face anything.  Many years later I revisited my poem with a whole new insight and made some changes.  I do not believe in blind destiny anymore.  I believe that we forge our own destiny by the choices we make good or bad. I also believe that our past does not have to dictate our future or who we are today because we still are free to make choices.

Have a blessed day!

Choices
Alone I walk the cold dark street
With only my thoughts for company;
The street lamps overhead guide my steps
As I watch my shadows pass me.

I hear my steps upon the walk
And strain my eyes to see,
My mind begins to dream a dream
Of where my steps will lead

I hear laughter, I witness pain,
I feel the sun, I smell the rain,
I greet faces, I visit places
I’ve never seen or been

This yearning deep within me
Draws me down this path
Toward sights unseen and dreams unborn
A future not determined by my past.

Then suddenly stillness fills the air
I sense a presence and then small voice
My wisdom I have given you
To make yet another choice

But what is this that lies ahead?
My path goes right and left.
At last my time has finally come
To choose which path is best

Terry Earp

No comments: