Terry Earp

Terry Earp

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

 Hold Tight to the Memories

My youngest girl just turned 21 this month.  It seems like only yesterday she was daddy’s little girl.  Where did all of the time go?  Have you ever wished that you could just freeze time or relive a certain moment?  What would you have done differently?  Would you maybe have worked a little less leaving more time for family time?  When they ask you to come outside to play soccer or play catch with them would you have put aside the things you thought were more important at the time?  Isn’t it strange how we never remember the times we put in that extra overtime but can remember the soccer game where you stood on the side lines cheering her on until you were hoarse.  The passing of time in our lives has a way of bringing a certain kind of clarity to things of what was or could have been.  We all have had those thoughts of if only I could do that one over I would hold on to that moment just a little longer.  My two precious girls are grown and scattered now.  As a father it has always been my desire to provide for them and protect them from anything and everything that could harm them.  Did I do my best?  I ask myself these questions a lot.  Did I do enough to protect and provide for them?  Did I get it right?  I will be the first to admit that I have made more than my share of mistakes as a father.  If I had to do it over again I would have certainly done some things differently.  If this was a perfect world I could protect them from ever getting hurt.  I could have protected my youngest from falling off of her first bike and skinning her knee.  I could have protected her from the heart ache from her breakup with her first real boyfriend.  I could have been there for my older daughter when she needed me most.  I know that the skinned knees and the heart aches are all part of growing up.  I have learned to make peace with my past so I do not spoil the present.  I still want to protect them from the harsh realities of this world and probably always will.  If I could provide them with a world free from anger and fear I would.  If I could make all of their wishes and dreams come true I would.  If I could do this one thing for my girls, I would build for them this magical world:



Once Upon a Time

If I could hold back the sands of time
I would cling to each grain in my hand
And embrace every moment of this time with no end
I would build all the memories I can

If I could paint my dreams on the wall
And make words play out like a song
I would paint you a melody of this magical place
Where nothing would ever go wrong

I would sing of a kingdom in a far away place
With homes and fields filled laughter
Where the prince finds his princess and they ride off together
And living happily ever after

If I could give you a day with no end
And make all your wishes come true
I would give you this day where joy would abound
And sadness could never touch you

In this magical place where time would stand still
Giving time for all you should do
Your longings and dreams will all come alive
In this world created for you

I trust you will share this wondrous place
With someone in search of their dream
And tell them this story, your incredible journey
Of everything that you have seen

For once upon a time in a far away realm
Where hopes and dreams all come true
Time will stand still in this magical world
And old thing will all become new

Terry Earp



1 comment:

Maria said...

Beautiful little girl. You must be very proud. I think anyone with children can relate to this article.