Terry Earp

Terry Earp

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Journey

I used to envy people like my brother who knew what they wanted to do with their lives long before they were even in high school.  From what I remember he was in seventh grade when he told our parents that he wanted to fly jets.  He knew what he wanted to do and he put a plan together.  He wanted to get into the Air Force Academy.  My brother knew that in order to do this he was going to need to keep his grades up and he did.  He was a straight A student because he had a vision that fueled his dream.  He had plenty of distractions along the way, me being a major one, but he did not let anything or anyone come between him and his dream.  I remember asking him on occasions to come outside to play catch with me or do something else that I thought would be fun.  He would often times be in a book that he just could not put down.  My brother was amazing.  He was like a walking encyclopedia.  I remember going to him with questions about history or some other subject and he always seem to have the answer.  He was accepted into the Air Force Academy right out of high school.  He served as an officer for close to thirty years and got to fly his jets all over the world.  I love this part about my brother.  He always seemed to have a plan.  I on the other hand was at the opposite end of this spectrum.  My parents lined up many great opportunities for me but I just could never seem to get excited about any of them because it was not my dream.  They wanted me to do well and excel in something.  I was not even sure what I wanted to major in until my junior year in college but even then I did not have a vision or a dream of what I wanted to do with my life.  Which category do you fall into?  When I was a young boy I used to think that I knew what I wanted to do.  I wanted to see the world.  I wanted to help make this world a better place to live but I did not have a plan mapped out for my life.  I didn’t even have a clue.  I know that many people out there like me can relate to this because I have met some of them.  Many of us think we know where we are going but without a clear vision, a purpose and a map on how to get there will cause us to wanders aimlessly like the Israelites did for forty years in the desert.  Be encouraged to know that this is not the end of our life in fulfilling our dreams.  Our dreams and visions often come to us in the most unlikely places.  I have been to the desert and I have to admit that it is a very dry and unpleasant place to be; but my journey did not end there.  It was only a detour to where my heart really desires to be.  Life is a journey.  I found fresh revelation, new hope and new direction in my journey there.  I believe that it is not our Lord’s intent for us to remain in the desert.  For my life it was only a detour that I needed to take.

Have a blessed day,

The Journey

I long to go down to the sea again
To the call of the wind and the tide
It is a wild call, it’s a clear call
That cannot be denied

This yearning deep within my soul
Draws me to where sea meets the shore
To that familiar call heard by sailors all
Within the breath of the oceans’ great roar.

Enchanted by her grand embrace
Eyes fixed on where sea meets the sky
I ask her of the many stories been told
Of adventure and this she replied

I have carried so many by their faith and hope
To where ever their hearts are drawn
A journey fueled by their passions and dreams
To where many before them have gone

To some their port was uncertain
It was the thrill of the open sea
As they set sail toward the horizon
It felt so good to be free

As seasons changed and seas turned gray
My waters rose like mountains
The skies turned black with no stars for guides
And the heavens spilled forth like fountains

As confusion rose and gave way to fear
Like a ship they were tossed
Without the stars to guide their way
They thought they must be lost

Their thoughts went back to that first day
Not so many years ago
When they started their great journey
To what port they did not know

I asked what purpose is this voyage
To travel all this way
To have no destination
And to this storm fall prey?

Is this the final hour
To face this storm alone?
Will they be lost forever?
Will they ever find their home?

The answer made me realize
That storms will come and go
I send them not to harm you
Just to guide you home

When you see the storm clouds gather
No matter where you roam
Just know it’s just the hand of God
Sent to guide you home.

Terry Earp








    

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Terry this is very good blog
Congratulations